phpBB Integration

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by rmara, Feb 24, 2013.

1. rmara

rmara Eager Beaver and Avid Learner

Like to add phpBB to our aMember site. The site establishes groups of members and looking to provide a BB for each group that is separate from other groups on the site. A BB will also be active for all members.

Has anyone done such an integration (multiple instances of phpBB's based on protected product) or we smoking some or that other tobacco?
  2. relapse

relapse aMember Pro Customer

Different products that are attached to different boards should be the answer.

Then, you can tie all subscriptions to the one community board ("all subscribers of this subscription also get this subscription").

^^paraphrasing the nomenclature of Amember from memory, but you should be able to handle it all in the product set ups.
  3. zenpig66

zenpig66 aMember Pro Customer

From what you are describing I'm assuming you aren't actually using different installs of phpBB but have categories/forums within one install with a particular group given permission to its category/forum.....correct? If so, it is very doable. The groups you create and assign to forums in phpBB will show in aMember which you then can assign to different products.
  4. relapse

Yes, zenpig, thanks for clarifying that.

To the OP, you do not have to have seperate installs of phpbb3 to make this all work.

You can do it in one install, with different sub boards available to only certain product buyers.

NO need to do more than one install.

Although it may seem easier at this point, assuming you have never used phpbb3, it actually isn't.

Learning forum and group permissions in phpbb3 is much easier than trying to do this with multiple installs of phpbb3.

But this is your key to finding success:

5. relapse

rmara,

After doing more digging this morning, I am going to have to say that I stand corrected on the subscription statements I made above.

IF you use the "Subscription" option in the drop down, in W+, rather than the "Buy Now" option, THEORETICALLY, it should work for you.

If this is your first time, test, test, test.
  6. rmara

Correct...one instance of BB.
  7. rmara

relapse, this is my first BB experience and with you on the test, test, test....
  8. relapse

You can get some guys on Odesk that know what they are doing in phpbb.

I have used some before from there and it worked out well.

That would help lighten your load.

Good luck.
  9. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

I've done several amember/phpbb3 integrations- you should use one install, simplest approach. Create a new group in phpbb for each level, create a new category/forum for each, and set the permissions so that the group can view/post etc... In amember, integration and under protect content, integrations, set the correct amember product to the correct phpbb3 group.

David
  10. rmara

Thank you both for the help. Have a great week.