Understanding Groups/Categories

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by guylewis, Mar 1, 2013.

1. guylewis

guylewis Member

Hi guys, in v3 I remember the signup.php was used with a suffix code to create a group of products that could be presented to different markets for example.

So, group 1 could be different types of apples for apple buyers (a range of products representing different apples) and group 2 could be set up for different oranges (a range of products representing different oranges).

How do I do this in v4?

I see categories (also sometimes named groups I think) and I can see how to set them up but I cant see how to present them in a URL, in the cart or the signup page.

Can anyone advise or give me a link to a thread about this (I did look).

Thanks
    Guy
  2. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

Yes the documentation sometimes calls them groups and sometimes categories, but it is the same thing (I will suggest they change them to the same name).

In V4 you don't do the filtering via the URL. You build a special signup/sales page that displays the given group. Each signup/sales page is given a unique URL that brings up the page with the given group.

As you can see in the screen shot below, in the "What to Display drop down menu, you can select specific categories.

categories.png
  3. guy1

guy1 Member

Thank you Grant. But I can't see that config page anywhere. Can you tell me I can find that in amember? Also is there any more detail about this in the manual? Does this config page create the group page you mentioned with a unique URL ?

Thanks.

Guy
  4. guy1

guy1 Member

Oh found it. The page above is under 'forms' for creating custom signup forms. So the page above is part of that configuration as grant says for setting a specific Group of products.

A great way to set things up for customers in markets, or different counties with different currencies.

Thanks

Guy
  5. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

Knocked out a screencast. It was a one take with no script, but its free :)
    guylewis likes this.
  6. relapse

relapse aMember Pro Customer

Nice video Grant.
  7. johnrichter_atx

johnrichter_atx New Member

Grant - this is helpful, but I'm still confused about what URL to add to my "signup" button. How do I create or find the specific URL that I need to use to limit the signup product offering to JUST that one group?
  8. johnrichter_atx

johnrichter_atx New Member

Nevermind. I just found it. It's on the main page of the forms editor.