Any plans for something other than ReCaptcha?

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by zenpig66, Jan 22, 2013.

1. zenpig66

zenpig66 aMember Pro Customer

Just wondering if there are any plans to incorporate another anti-bot tool other than ReCaptcha into v4 or if anyone else has had success incorporating their own. ReCaptcha was "broken" by bots well over a year ago and is essentially an outdated method of blocking them. My site doesn't have any free trials and requires email authentication so I don't have an issue with bots actually creating full accounts with access to the content but the amount of email it generates and finding something other than bot activity in the error logs is a nuisance. It's always going to be a game of staying one step ahead of the bot coders and there are other currently more robust ways of turning back bots but again just checking before I give my own hand at trying to incorporate different methods.

thanks,
    Steve
  2. cerberos

cerberos New Member

We're in the process of going live (public) with our 4.2.15 install and was hoping to find something better than ReCaptcha. Anybody have luck with human verification?
  3. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

4. cerberos

cerberos New Member

Thanks for the reply, but this doesn't seem to help.
    How does the user go about creating his/her own unique question/answer pair?
  5. hilary

hilary aMember Pro Customer

As I understand it, that's not the idea. It's a direct replacement for captcha: a simple question (click 'configure' on the field to enter them) a human can answer but a bot can't. ('How many legs does a dog have?' 'What's the opposite of down?' etc.)
  6. cerberos

cerberos New Member

Ahhhh....thanks. I'll give it a go. :cool: