Bulk email users their password

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by kriss, Feb 10, 2013.

1. kriss

kriss Member

I'm importing a bunch of new users and have had to reset their passwords. Is it possible to email all of them telling each one what their new password is? Is there some sort of short code I can add to the body of the email for their password?
  2. kriss

kriss Member

And their username as well...
  3. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

How did you import them?
  4. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

5. kriss

kriss Member

Not sure what the plain text means. I just need to email them their usernames and passwords. Is this possible?
  6. kriss

kriss Member

I'll be importing them via CSV but I'll be giving them all new passwords. I need to send an email out to them letting them know what the new password is and then they can change it after they've logged in. There are currently 0 users in aMember.
  7. everbatim

everbatim aMember Pro Customer

What Alex was saying is that unlike aMember 3, which gave you the option of having customer passwords stored without encryption, aMember 4 does NOT allow the passwords to be stored like that. All passwords in aMember 4 are stored using encryption, therefor as soon as they are entered they cannot be displayed in the admin or customer profile areas as they would appear (plain text).

The link he provided you with allows you to create a custom field in aMember that WILL store the passwords without encryption, and then update that field whenever the customer or admin updates that password. It doesn't REPLACE the password field, it simply mirrors it without encryption. Once that custom field is created and setup as described, you could then have your emails reference THAT field for each customer, which would give you the desired effect of sending your customers their actual, unencrypted (plain text) password.
  8. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for clarification!
  9. kriss

kriss Member

Got it. Alex set it up and the migration went smoothly. I was able to email all of my members their new passwords. I'll wait until everyone has logged in and then remove the cleartext plugin.