Categorising Content

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by siansell, Oct 30, 2012.

1. siansell

siansell New Member

Hi,

What is the best way to categorise protected content within aMember?

For example, I have protected video files that I want to tag by author (and display the author in the members area). It doesn't seem to be possible to add custom fields to content, unless I am missing something.

Thanks.
  2. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Don't really understand your concept.

Should not the actual content be contained within a separate section on your site together with the pages describing the content of that content?

On my own site the entire offering is developed as the main part of the site. You select what you want to download, currently only PDF files but shortly to include videos.

Once your visitor has decided what they want and go on to select it, aMember then comes into play and will only then let the visitor view the content if they are a member, and logged in. If they are not it takes them to the login screen or join up screen.

I cannot see the benefit of listing everything in aMember. aMember is designed to controll access to your content. A job it does well!!
  3. siansell

siansell New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to aMember, maybe I am misunderstanding how it is supposed to be used?

I was just wondering if there was a quick and easy way to do the above within the aMember admin interface (or with modification in site.php). So my client can upload a video and tag it with, say, "author: siansell, game: chess, date: 30 October".

The content can then be made searchable from within the members area, so users can search for all videos with author: siansell.

I could indeed write a site from scratch using the API to control access to each page, and I am capable of doing that, but it might not be necessary!

FWIW I might be on to a workaround by assigning product categories to each content record. Then in my template something like:

PHP:
    foreach ($resources as $r) {

$access $r->getAccessList();  //from which I can get a list of the assigned product categories
    }
  4. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Unfortunately, there is not an option to sort and group protected content. That will be implemented in upcoming 4.3.0 release.
    For now, if you have big content list, it is easier to use Wordpress to publish it. aMember - Wordpress integration works just fine.

If you are not going to use WP, let me know and I will suggest something else.