Cookie Question

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by tamitaylor, Feb 14, 2012.

1. tamitaylor

tamitaylor Member

I don't know if this is Amember, Vbulletin/Photopost but I'm having a few emails a day of people telling me they can't get into the gallery/forums. I tell them to clear their browsers cache and try again and it seems to work and they are able to get in, but it doesn't seem right that they should have to clear the cache that much.

Is there anything that would be causing this? Who sets the login cookie? I haven't been able to replicate the issue on my computer yet.
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

hi,
    When this happen next time, ask user to create a video that show this issue(or ask to explain how user's tryed to login exactly.) then contact us in helpdesk.
    if you sue vBulletin plugin and user login through aMember, cookie will be set by aMember as well.
  3. tamitaylor

tamitaylor Member

I asked a user and this is what they responded:

they were logged into a protected page:
    http://creativepassionclasses.com/blending-and-beyond-lesson-01/

And then on the navbar chose to go to the gallery, then the private gallery for that class (based on usergroup thats assigned through integrations>protect content>vbulletin. It gave them a notice that they don't have access to that gallery. She's using firefox.

wondering if it's because she bypassed the forums first? the gallery I think is installed to read from vbulletin and vbulletin from amember - should I make people go to the forums first then the gallery?

thank you again for the help you're all amazing.
  4. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Well, this depends on how integration was done between vBulletin and your gallery.
    For example there are two possible ways as I think:
    1. Gallery can just read vBulletin cookies and use them to authenticate user
    or
    2. There is a plugin in vBulletin that set gallery's cookies when user login into vBulletin. In this case you will get described problem if user will go to gallery directly, bypassing vBulletin.
  5. tamitaylor

tamitaylor Member

I didn't install so i have no idea which one is the case, nor would I know where/how to look to find out.

I'm going to turn off the gallery link on the home page to kind of help navigate people through the forums first and see if this helps. Thanks.
  6. tamitaylor

tamitaylor Member

Ok so the above didn't seem to make a difference I'm still getting issues. I also tried to test it on my two test users and if I log in with "iluvclasses" then navigate to the forum it doesn't not 'keep' the login, the forums show I need to log in. If I login with my other test user "michigirl74" it does keep me logged in when I navigate to the forums. I do not know if this is related at all to what's going on above though :(
  7. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Tami, we will debug and fix it all tomorrow, sorry for this issue. Is the ticket open?
  8. tamitaylor

tamitaylor Member

Thanks and no, i didn't know if the cookie issue was amember so I posted here first. I'll send one now and thanks.