Extending subscription expiration date

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by earthchanges, Apr 12, 2013.

1. earthchanges

earthchanges New Member

Hello, We run in to this problem a lot. A member will see their membership is getting ready to expire and they purchase another yearly membership on their own, then the recurring kicks in and they're charged twice for the same time period. Most of them just want us to add an additional year to the end of their membership.

My question is, how can this be done? I do not see any simple way to manually adjust the time period.
    Should be as simple as editing the date on the user info page.

[​IMG]

I am sure I could cancel one of these and add access manually but that will lead to confusion over time.
  2. relapse

relapse aMember Pro Customer

I am interested in this also.
  3. hilary

hilary aMember Pro Customer

Me, too. There are lots of reasons why it's helpful to be able to edit the dates on a subscription.

For your particular issue with people paying twice... you could set up an email that would go out however-many days/ weeks before the renewal to tell them it will be done automatically and they don't need to do anything.

Also... I'm a bit hazy about renewal groups, but aren't they meant to prevent people from paying twice for the same access?
  4. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

If you have multiple aMember products set up for the same end product, such as a subscription, on your site (hope you understand what I mean) then if you have a common 'Renewal Group' anyone paying early will have their new early payment showing as 'Future'.

Remember you also have to set 'Start date calculation' as - Last expiration date in the renewal group
    hilary likes this.
  5. hilary

Do you know if that'll work for multiple subscriptions to the same product, too? I have one client who seems to be intent on creating a new subscription for each month of his monthly subscription - the time spent tracking down and cancelling the extra subscriptions and keeping track of what he's paid is getting ridiculous...
  6. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

How have you got your aMember products set up?

Can you post a link to your sign-up page so I can have a look?

With regards to manually renewing when they have an automatically recurring subscription I am currently working on, I may have to submit a ticket to get a bit of help, a way to replace the current Add/Renew tab contents with a replacement page that simply says 'Your subscription is set to automatically renew'. Together, maybe, with a link to cancel their subscription

I want to inhibit the normal renew page form on the aMember products I have that automatically renew. For other, non-recurring subscriptions, the normal manual sign-up page will display.

I am lucky in this respect as I only have a single physical product on offer a 12 month subscription which has several ways to pay, so this solution might not work for everyone.
  7. hilary

8. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Never got involved with using a cart so not able to make any useful suggestions sorry.
  9. hilary

I wonder if it might be as simple as not allowing subscription to this product if he already has an active subscription to this product?

(Also I've sent him another email in which the words 'automatic' and 'recurring' feature heavily...)
  10. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

hilary likes this.
  11. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Sure you can disallow this product if there is an active subscription already. I think this will help in your situation.
  12. hilary

Thanks - will do.