Free trail - how to ensure one per person?

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by goexcel, Feb 14, 2013.

1. goexcel

goexcel Member

We're considering testing a free trial which would include 1 week of unlimited access to our site. How do you go about ensuring the free trial is used once per person? Would you use the credit card information to verify the free trial is used once per person? If so, can aMember do this?
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Problem with any trial they cancel, and sign up again under a new username and email they can get around just about any protection.

David
  3. goexcel

goexcel Member

The credit card or PayPal payment address would need to be "key" to making this work. I noticed another membership (they don't use aMember) that uses the credit card as the determining factor if they signed up for a previous free trial.
  4. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Key to what? Anybody determined to sign up more than once will think for 10 seconds max. and do it.

Most people have more than one credit card and, in any case, unless you intend charging them there are plenty of card number generators that will produce valid numbers. Will fail, obviously, payment processor but will pass any number of card validation routines!

PayPal? If I wanted to renew a free subscription I would just start a new PayPal account, same as anybody else!

What you are proposing will be far from foolproof and easily bypassed for somebody intent on doing so.