Import members with no username or password ?

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by spacechimp, Feb 6, 2012.

1. spacechimp

spacechimp New Member

I had originally sent this as a ticket to the help desk, but i think it may help others so I'm re-posting it here.
    I'm just starting an aMember powered wordpress site. I have a list of Memebers names which I want to import as a CSV file. But the list does not include Login names or Passwords. Does anyone have any suggestions which will help me auto generate these because I really don't want to add them to a spreadsheet manually!

Once users login with these temporary login details can they change their username and password?

Alternatively is there a way I can send each member a unique account retrieval code? allowing them claim their account and input their own login and password?

For some context into my query. The list of Members are magazine subscription holders. Site membership now comes as standard when people subscribe to the mag. This brings up two problems for me the login name password issue I mentioned above and the fact that each membership will expire at a different time.

If anyone has any clever solutions or thoughts on how to approach this I'd love to hear them.

Many Thanks
  2. spacechimp

spacechimp New Member

How do I do this? the CSV file I have is as follows

Login;Pass;Email;Name F;Name L;
    ;;email@email.com;firstname;Lastname;

Once users login with these temporary login details can they change their username and password?

I can see how to change passwords, How can a member change their username?

That sounds sensible, I may create a membership level specifically for existing subscribers and send them a coupon for it, that way i could keep their membership separate from new subscribers and ensure i don't send them 2 magazines in the post. They'd only get 6 months of full site access. Can I set a membership level that can only be seen by those people who have been sent a coupon?
    Kind regards
    Neil
  3. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Create a product with a price so high, only coupon buyers will get it.

David
  4. spacechimp

spacechimp New Member

but if they had lets say a £1000 coupon, what stops them from buying 2 or 3 cheaper subscription options?
  5. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

I believe there is no need to make things more complicated than it is.
    I would recommend to use MS Excel or OpenOffice Calc abilities to generate usernames and passwords for customers.

There is recipe for OpenOffice:
    to generate usernames use
    =CONCATENATE("u";RANDBETWEEN(100000;999999))
    to generate passwords use
    =RANDBETWEEN(10000000;99999999)

I can make a video if necessary
  6. spacechimp

spacechimp New Member

Excellent, ok I'll get a copy of open office or see if google spreadsheet has a similar option.* Edit* google spreadsheet function = "=Randbetween(100000,999999)"

Once I have set a random username and password how does the new users change his Username?

Cheers
  7. spacechimp

spacechimp New Member

Sorry just seen that you've already answered that question!
    User will be able to change it in profile page as well. (of course if you have username brick added to profile page in aMember CP -> Forms Editor -> Edit Profile form)
  8. alex

Forgot to mention an important idea. Once password is imported into aMember, it will be inaccessible.
    So it is necessary to:
    1. Either e-mail usernames/passwords to customers somehow outside of aMember. I know for example SendGrid can do that based on CSV file;
    or
    - in the spreadsheet, copy generated password VALUES to another column
    - use aMember CP -> Add Fields : add text field "SQL" named "npass"
    - during import, set passwords to be copied to standard "Password" field and to that new "npass" field.
    Passwords in standard will be one-way encrypted, but you can use npass field to make e-mailing to customers. Into e-mail body you can insert tag %user.npass% to insert these generated passwords. NOTE - try it on small subset of customers first (!)
  9. willpublish

willpublish New Member

DavidM,

I'm interested in your service and wish I would have found out about it before I went through the process. However, I think I could still use it. We're about 80% there. How could you help us finish this out?

Thanks,

William
  10. davidm1

@willpublish- thanks, go to my site and send me a message via the contact us form, or email me at david at membershipacedemy.com
  11. davidm1

Heres a random password generator for excel
    =CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90))&CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90))&RANDBETWEEN(10,99)&CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90))&RANDBETWEEN(10,99)

combine, change as you want to make the format different.

You generate it in one column, then use an =that colum in your npass column so you have 2 columns with the same password. this way you can import them both into amember, 1 for password, 1 for npass. Then you can send out an email to the new imports with their password that isnt encrypted. After emailing, you can delete the field for security.

David
  12. spacechimp

spacechimp New Member

Thanks for all your suggestions and pointers guy's everything seems to be going well :D

I'm just about to import our current members into our website. Each member has a different expiry date as they all started at different times. As a suggestion for the next update it would be good if there was an expiry date field added to the "Import Users". In the mean time I'm grouping members by their expiry date and using the "Mass subscribe" option under "Browse Users".
  13. alex

It is exists! Choose "Add Subscription" during import and you will see date fields.
  14. spacechimp

spacechimp New Member

Thank you Alex, your timing was impeccable! I was just about to get my hands dirty with some data entry when I checked the forum.
  15. alex

Thank you!