Manual Renewal of a Subscription with Discount

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by academiathemes, Jan 16, 2014.

1. academiathemes

academiathemes New Member

Hi,

So I would like to know what is the best way to go about this:

1. I sell subscriptions that are valid for 1 year for X.
    2. I don't have an automatic renewal, I don't want to bill people automatically when subscription expires.
    3. I want the customers to be able to extend/renew their membership with a 50% discount.

How to achieve this?
    Preferably aMember would automatically send renewal reminders 30 days before expiration, so that the customer is aware.

Please advise.
  2. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Why not create a new product for 50% of the original price. Make the original product unavailable to those with active current product so when they renew they only have option to use this discounted product.

You would obviously need to make this second product available for those with out currently active product.
  3. codelizard

codelizard New Member

How would you then account for the two subscriptions? I was thinking of doing something similar, but in the end I end up with 2 subscriptions instead of only 1.
  4. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

'Subscription 1' - £50, Renewal group - Subscription
    Not available to those with 'Subscription 1'

Subscription 2 - £25, Renewal group - Subscription
    Requires 'Active' 'Subscription 1'
    Requires 'Expired' 'Subscription 1' (Covers those who permit original subscription to expire)
    Start date -
    Last existing subscription date of this product (This subscription acts as a continuation of full price one)
    Last expiration date in the renewal group (Covers if they renew twice)
    Payment date (Covers if full price subscription has expired)

With above settings if someone renews their subscription before expiry new subscription will start on day full price one ends. If they renew twice second renewal will begin after first renewal period.

With above settings full price product only will be on sign-up form but when they renew only the second product will appear.
  5. academiathemes

Thank you for your suggestions.
    However, this is counter-intuitive. Why have duplicate products for the same downloadable product?
    I will have to maintain and update two products instead of one.

Maybe the admins can provide some insights?
  6. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Sorry don't understand. My site consists of downloadable manuals, several thousand in fact, and I have 4 actual aMember 'products'.

The products are in reality the various payment options. aMember protects the PDF files, of which there is only one copy of each.

Subscribers select wanted file on site and, provided they have a valid membership, they can download the PDF. No membership and they are invited to subscribe.

With regards to email reminders I have aMember set up to send these automatically, complete with renewal link, at 30, 14 and 7 day periods.
  7. academiathemes

When somebody purchases a 'product', do you give them access to every single downloadable manual?
    Because I have 1 product (file) per sale. So if you buy something, you get access only to this single file.

So how do I renew the subscription just for this single file?

Really, some input from the developers would be great.