"Newsletter Guest" feature - is it necessary?

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by alex, Feb 28, 2012.

?

Do you need "Newsletter Guests" functionality?

Poll closed Mar 6, 2012.
  1. Yes, I am using it

50.0%
  2. Yes, I am going to use it

25.0%
  3. No

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

We are currently reworking newsletter module in v4, and as I understand "Newsletter Guest" feature is not something is using these days.
    In short, it is a feature when customers can subscribe to your aMember's local email lists without creating aMember account.

We are going to remove this functionality from aMember completely, as thrid-party services like MailChimp, SendResponse, AWeber, etc. could do that lot better.
  2. ak48avk

ak48avk Angela Kane

I tried it in Version 3. I'm not using it now. I won't miss it. I would rather my visitors signed up - I have a free membership option.
  3. alex

Thank you for the feedback!

Any other opinions before we start pressing Del buttons on our keyboards? :)
  4. gmej

gmej aMember Pro Customer

Hi,
    How would I migrate the newsletter guest´s lists I´m using now?
  5. alex

We can help you to export them into CSV file, then you can import it to any mail list provider, say MailChimp. They definitely can do it better.
  6. gmej

Sorry, I´m a newbie. I have two types of subscribers on my newsletter: Major part of them subscribe to site and some are only guests. If I use free MailChimp, for example, for guests, I´d have to send two newsletters, one by aMember and other by MailChimp? Sorry, I can´t understand how to manage this issue. How MailChimp integration would work? If I have to use MailChimp to all subscribed users I´d have to pay because of free option limits.
  7. alex

I understand, but if you have ever tried to email 20000 customers you know it is not an easy task to do from your own server. There are specialized providers that do it LOT better. You may be sure your messages will not go to Spam folders.

MailChimp integration will work the same as current "Newsletters" works in v4, but user will be subscribed to list on MailChimp server database.
  8. gmej

In v4 all newsletters (for registered subscribers and not guests) could be sent either by aMember or by Mailchimp? Please inform a post that explains for a newbie what are the changes and consequences in v4.
  9. alex

Yes, in v4 newsletters may be configured to be sent via MailChimp.
    We decided to remove "Newsletter Guest" support, as this function is hard to get working correctly on shared hosting.
  10. gmej

Alex, please confirm if it´s a good procedure:
    You would help me to export guests (off course not including the regularly subscribed users) of my different newsletters to CSV and I would sent an e-mail to them advising that because of changing of my software newsletters guests would not more be possible and inviting them to subscribe to my site and make the option to receive the newsletters they want. If it´s a good procedure, please inform me the e-mail I could send you admin login informations.

Please also confirm if there´s a Mailchimp plugin also for aMember v3.23 and if it´s free or paid. I´ll need some time to change my Joomla to v2.5.x and then aMember to v4.x.

Thanks,
  11. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

First, functionality mentioned by Alex will be available in amember v4.2.0 only, there is not such functionality in current v4.1.13 so, I don't recommend to do any import now.
    In regards to aMember v3.2.3 and mailchimp, this can be done with Ken's amail plugin. It is available by request in helpdesk.
  12. seishindo

seishindo New Member

Hi,
    What I just read in the above message seems to say that,
    Integration with systems like Mailchimp is NOT currently available?

I would be starting fresh with Mailchimp AND aMember at the same time.
  13. alex

MailChimp integration is available for v3 as a plugin by helpdesk request (with no support).

MailChimp integration will be available in 4.2.0 release (this week).
  14. seishindo

seishindo New Member

Oh wow, really this week!?

Just in a day or two then. That is great!
    Thanks Alex!