Newsletter Plugin

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by rmara, Mar 10, 2013.

1. rmara

rmara Eager Beaver and Avid Learner

Any feedback on the many different types of newsletter plugins? Leaning towards MailChimp, but checking with the forum. Help is greatly appreciated.
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Pretty happy with aweber- a little pricey for larger #s though.
    I dont like their double opt-in requirement for amember integrated api, but no way around that yet.

David
  3. rmara

Thanks David. Attempting to use MailChimp with a protected Wordpress folder is proving to be a challenge for MailChimp. Not sure if it is MailChimp or my access configuration. Will look at a change if not resolved by the end of the week.
  4. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

I prefer MailChimp
    A couple of observations on this...

MailChimp / Folder Relationship

You don't directly associate a MailChimp mailing list with a protected folder....
    • From "Protect Content", you associate a protected folder with a membership product.
    • From "Protect Content" you associate a MailChimp mailing list with the same membership product.
      • Also you create and send newletters from within MailChimp
    Protected WordPress Folder

You typically do not add any protection to a WordPress folder. You protect WordPress pages, posts, or categories but not folders. You can set up a protected folder from within the aMember Protect Content section if you need a place to place protected files. It is best that this folder is outside the scope of WordPress (not in the WP path).
  5. rmara

Grant, my apologies was using the terms incorrectly. Let's see if I get this correct. Have integrated WordPress and aMember (installed in different folders). Now I am trying to use MailChip to send emails for each new post (based on a RSS feed) with little success. Looks like I am not able to access the feed without first logging into my aMember site. Tried user::ppassword in the URL for testing and it takes me right to my aMemeber site login.

Searching the forum of a possible solution, got any.
  6. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

OK, Yep I can see where that is going to be an issue. I assumed you were building the newsletters from within MailChimp and sending them to mailing lists that were associated with a membership product.

While the automation of using a WordPress (WP) category feed to generate a newsletter is attractive, you should also consider building each mailing from within MailChimp. It does take some work; however, once you set up a template and get a system going (with liberal amounts of cut/paste thrown in) you could probably knock out a weekly newsletter inside of an hour. Of course this depends on how many articles each week you want to showcase.

I don't think a newsletter generated from an RSS feed have the same effect of a custom written newsletter. With a custom written newsletter you could vary the format as needed to handle special events and promotions.
  7. rmara

Agreed, newsletters will not be a big deal. I am trying to automate the new daily posts.

Thanks Grant. The search continues.