Password on "Resend Sign up info" is Encrypted?

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by aknetwork, Feb 6, 2012.

1. aknetwork

aknetwork Member

Hello,

When I resend sign up info to my members, they get their password as ALL weird characters: $P$BziaH9dzdW (for example)

I checked the email template and I have it as Plain Text and the command is: Your Password: %user.pass%

What is wrong?

Thanks.
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

aMember does not store password in plaintext. It is impossible to resend it, password can be only reset.

Your signup e-mail template shall not contain %user.pass% variable - it is always a password hash.
    You can enable "Registration E-Mail" at aMember CP -> Setup -> E-Mail and insert %pass% variable. That is only the place where the plaintext password is available - immediately after the user signup.
  3. agelinas

agelinas New Member

Thanks Alex for the explanation about the use of the %user.pass% variable and password encryption. I used the variable in automatic Email Notifications and members who received them and tried to login using the "encrypted password" were very frustrated. I should have tested these emails, but didn't because I thought they would work like in Amenber v.3.

Have a great day!
  4. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Perhaps this should be removed as an option then?

David
  5. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Yes you right.
    I've removed it.
  6. stevenjohn

stevenjohn Member

This is good for security - but not so good for admin access. In v3 we used the plain text passwords so we could login to client accounts to check all was working ok.

Is there anyway to be able to login as a client into our system? I really need to check its working well fr them without disturbing them to ask for their password...?

Thanks, Steve
  7. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

@stevenjohn - yes, in aMember 4 you have a 'login as user' option which appears to the right of their login name in 'User Info'.
  8. stevenjohn

stevenjohn Member

D'oh! I just ran back to this thread as we'd just found that.... there's no blushing smiley to insert...

But thanks Rob, appreciate you letting me know.

I'll go sit in the corner now :))
  9. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

No worries :p