refunds must be applied manually?

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by customcodegeek, Apr 29, 2012.

1. customcodegeek

customcodegeek Member

I've searched for this but can't find a definitive answer.

I use the paypal plugin to process payments. What happens when I refund someone via the paypal interface ?

do I need to also manually refund them via the amember interface too?

I can see the refund IPN gets sent by looking at the transaction log for the user I refunded, does amember automatically scrape back the affiliate commission and also remove access to the product?
  2. spicyniknaks

spicyniknaks New Member

I have explored the issue of refunds in PayPal in great depth. I had posted a question, but had resolved my issue before anyone came back to me with any answers. I posted updates on my finding for the benefit of other peoples. You can see the post here.

Basically, if you refund through PayPal (full or partial refund) then the IPN sent to aMember causes the whole payment to be refunded. The products/services purchased through aMember do not seem to be attributed to individual payments (read my post for more details) and because of this a partial refund can't be applied as aMember wouldn't know what purchase to apply to. The result is that you should only do full refunds if you process your refund through PayPal. If you are refunding through aMember then it only lets you refund the full payment amount anyway. You seem to be able to perform the refund in either PayPal or aMember.

I have not explored how this affects affiliate commission and would appreciate if you could post your findings here if you get any info. Access to the product is removed when the refund is processed.

Something to be aware of: I have submitted a bug report for PayPal refunds in aMember. aMember subtracts the refund amount, but the amount from PayPal is already negative, so this results in an addition to the invoice amount which is wrong. As far as I know this bug has not been fixed yet.
  3. customcodegeek

customcodegeek Member

thanks for you reply, I ended up processing the refund manually on amember after I had set to refund in my paypal app (putler).

maybe I could have been more patient and seen if amember did it automagically but I'm impatient!