Upgrade existing website?

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by rosieowl, Aug 14, 2012.

1. rosieowl

rosieowl New Member

I know the advice at the end of last year was to NOT upgrade existing websites from v3 to v4. Is this still the case?

I desperately want some of the features of v4 (I've been playing with it on a new website). It should make life a lot easier and looks fantastic.

But my existing website is very busy and financially supports my family so I'm very, very nervous of upgrading if it might cause problems.
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Any customizations on your existing 3.x site? What plugins are you using? What payment system?

David
  3. benfitts

benfitts Member

If you did even modest modifications of your signup pages, don't upgrade. Amember4 form editor is completely unflexible.

CGI Central designed amember4 for novices that will use the standard forms not successful membership site owners that customize their forms.
  4. rosieowl

rosieowl New Member

Thanks for replying guys. In many ways it's a fairly simple site. The site itself is all hand coded so no wordpress or anything to integrate with. Only two products. Only use PayPal or set up users manually if they pay offline ( which lots of them do). No huge customisations in terms of functionality. A couple of fairly minor paid for changes - e.g. one product emails us only after a higher number of ip addresses try to log on than the other product - not too worried about those customisations as I'll happily pay to have those sorted out for me again.

I've done quite a lot of customisation of the look and feel of things. I've had a good play at recreating that through v4 themes and think I'm getting somewhere.

I've made quite a lot of changes to the forms - adding fields, taking them out reordering etc rather than big layout changes. I've also changed the route through the forms largely so that the member profile page isn't encountered. Site is mainly subscribed to by parents/teachers but used by pretty young children so i don't want them to be able to change passwords/sign up for things etc.

Again, I've played with the form editors and come up with something that I think sort of works but not an exact match for what I had before.

I should probably add that while I can muddle my way through html and css, php is a bit of a mystery to me and therefore I'm reluctant to fiddle with what I don't fully understand.
  5. benfitts

benfitts Member

Hi Rosie,

If you only have a couple of forms it probably isn't too bad. It may require some PHP code to rearrange the order of fields. Some of it can be done with the form editor but some needs some manual intervention.

If you only have a couple of forms it is easier because we don't have to make a lot of copies of the files. (Some of our clients have 30 different variations of the signup form.)

If you want to send me a private message of your old form and your new one I can take a look and let you know how complicated (or easy) it will be.
  6. rosieowl

rosieowl New Member

Thank you Ben, that is really kind of you. However, after endless discussions with my OH/business partner and obsessive trawling of this forum, I've decided to hold off on upgrading just now. It feels too much of a risk for us in our position at the moment.

I'm going to keep on playing with v4 and watch these forums with interest to try to learn as much as possible from other people's experiences of upgrading before taking the big step myself.

Thanks again and good luck to all those people braver than me who are going for it. Please share your experiences.