What does the Unsubscribe Block on the member page do?

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by tomingles, Sep 2, 2013.

1. tomingles

tomingles Member

Under Setup/configuration > Email > Miscellaneous > Do not show Unsubscribe Block on Member page, I understand this removes the block from the member's profile page preventing them from unsubscribing from emails (or forcing them to use the link in the email footer).

However, I cannot find any information anywhere as to which emails this unsubscribes users from.

Does it unsubscribe them from:

a) Just newsletters (under Users > Email Users AND/OR Protect Content > E-Mail Messages)
    b) All system emails (including payment receipts, cancel subscription notifications etc)
    c) Both the above

Could someone please clarify this?

Thanks
  2. tomingles

tomingles Member

Does anyone know anything about this?
  3. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Presumably it behaves just as it says on the members page 'Unsubscribe from all email messages' - Everything as in all emails sent from aMember. Newsletters, reminders account about to expire - unsubscribes to all of them.
  4. tomingles

tomingles Member

So even if the system is configured to send out payment receipts to users on recurring subscription billing under Setup/Configuration > Email > Message to customer after payment > E-Mail Payment Receipt to user, it will override that and they will no longer receive payment receipts?

I would have though that these emails should be compulsory, and the user would ONLY be given the option to unsubscribe from newsletter emails and not all system emails, especially payment receipts.
  5. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

aMember does give the option to not subscribe to newsletters etc but in many countries anybody sending out emails MUST give the intended email receivers the option of opting out of ALL emails.

You could always remove this option on your site.
  6. tomingles

tomingles Member

Thanks for your reply again thehpmc. According to the Can Spam regulations, once someone is a paying customer you don't actually legally have to request their permission to email them, as communications from that point in time count as "relationship messages". Having an unsubscribe link on 'essential' account/system emails sent to paying customers is therefore a kind of 'courtesy' rather than a legal requirement, at least as far as Can Spam is concerned, which is I think the main authority on this.

I have come across this before with lots of the airline communications - with companies like British Airways, Qatar airways etc never including any means to unsubscribe from their emails. I have even written to them and complained about this before but their attitude is "While you have an account with us, we will email you as and when we choose."

In this particular case, I do not want anyone to be able to unsubscribe from ONE type of email - payment receipt emails - as that will be more likely generate chargebacks/complaints.
  7. tomingles

tomingles Member

I just had confirmation from Support that it does unsubscribe people from ALL emails, including Payment Receipt emails.