Word Press >3.5 , Edit Media , aMember Protection alters PDF

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by paullee357, Feb 18, 2013.

1. paullee357

paullee357 Member

I submitted a bug report, but maybe it's not a bug and I'm not operating this correctly...

I understand protected folders in the old v3 setup using a simple website. I'm using V4 with Wordpress and I see that my Editors can only upload files to the standard WP Upload path, but luckily the WP plugin adds a section to the "Edit Media" page to add aMember protection to that file. However, I keep getting errors when I protect a file. I'll paste my bug report below. Am I not using protection properly?
    When I upload a PDF to Wordpress, I see errors later when I decided to add protection via aMember. In the Edit Media page, under the section "aMember Protection Settings", I check Protection enabled and choose an active product. Several things happen when I click Update.
    1. Mysteriously the checkbox for enable protection goes back to being unchecked.
    2. The file name changes from http://website/wp-content/uploads/file.pdf to http://website/wp-content/uploads/3?attachment_id=1257
    3. The file type changes from PDF to Application/PDF
    4. Viewing the file in FTP it changes from file.pdf to a sequential number with no extension, in the URL above, 3
    5. Viewing the file as full admin or even as suscribed member of the product the PDF does not render except as source code of the document
  2. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

PaulLee,

The best way to protect files in this setup is to upload the files via aMember as covered on this page. Only use the WordPress media library for files/images that go on public pages.

After you upload a file into aMember and apply the protection you want, you can then paste the file's link into WordPress wherever you want. The protected link could be on a public or protected page, depends on the way you want to present the downloads to the user. If they do not have an active subscription to the link, they will not be able to access it.
  3. paullee357

paullee357 Member

Thanks Grant. I think I, personally, can go through all those steps in protecting a file/folder from the aMember back end, but I'm dealing with World War 2 alumni who are not computer literate to begin with and they are at least familiar with the ease of uploading a PDF into Wordpress.

For aMember to recognize that the Wordpress upload is much simpler and thus create a Wordpress checkbox to protect it, is extremely impressive and I commend aMember for building it. But it is almost working in my case
  4. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Actually amember protection block should not be available in media section.This seems to be a bug :))
    I will check is this possible to add protection to media files into Wordpress directly and will update your task in bug tracker. Last time when I dealt with that, there was no way to make such protection in default media files section.
  5. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

Typically the handling of protected files (uploading, setting access levels, placing links, etc) is handled by the site admin. Actually it is best to keep everybody else out of the WP back end. If you are going to extend this to all members it does get a little complicated. I am sure there is a solution, but you need to explain in detail what you are trying to accomplish.
  6. paullee357

paullee357 Member

I'm going to change it to a soft protection. The alumni historian creates a PDF newsletter 3 times a year and will upload to Wordpress. There will be a protected page that simply has a list of links to all the PDFs.
    Members can see the page of links, but the public cannot. Once a member expires, they can no longer see the page of links.

However, I was thinking an expired member could reverse engineer the link syntax and gain access to future newsletters by manually typing let's say fall2013.pdf (not sure what it will end up being). So I decided to be extra secure and try to check the WP/aMember box that says protect it. Oh Dear.

But, if I listen to my own description of the users being WW2 alumni, I shouldn't have to worry about the file lockdown for expired members. In fact, I would commend them if they can figure it out.

I've got bizarre redirection issues going that I need to figure out first. The file lockdown is not that big in comparison. Thanks for the advice.